How to make an easy keto caramel sauce
This recipe for sugar-free keto-friendly caramel sauce is as easy as it gets and only requires a few ingredients. In under 30 minutes, you can make the perfect caramel sauce to add to many keto-friendly desserts.
When the caramel is warm it is very easy to use for a drizzle. Left at room temperature the caramel sauce thickens slightly but remains buttery and delicious. If chilled in the refrigerator the caramel sauce becomes slightly more solid but remains easily spoon-able.
For this recipe you will need:
- Almond Milk
- Half and Half/ Heavy Cream
For the butter in this recipe, I prefer to use Kerrygold. I always use salted Kerrygold. Salted butter adds a subtle salted flavor to the caramel sauce, making this caramel sauce that much more decadent.
Remember: Salt is a flavor enhancer — meaning that adding salt to keto-friendly desserts brings out the sweetness. In turn, you can use less sweetener in recipes.
If you need a dairy-free caramel, easily swap the butter for your favorite butter alternative and use extra almond milk in place of the heavy cream. These adjustments will make a delicious sugar free dairy free caramel sauce.
Sugar-free – Allulose Sweetened Keto Caramel
The best sweetener for sugar-free caramel is Allulose. What I like most about Allulose for this keto and low carb caramel sauce is that it is less sweet than many other keto-approved sweeteners. The subtle sweetness is what makes this caramel sauce the perfect topping for many keto sweets. Allulose also does not crystallize when heated like erythritol. The most desirable reason to use Allulose for any keto caramel recipe is a superior end result in the caramel’s final texture.
What is Allulose?
Allulose is a form of sugar, and it comes from real foods such as figs. Allulose is not a sugar alcohol, which is why it behaves more like sugar in recipes. For most people, Allulose will not raise blood sugar, but if you are worried it is always best to test your glucose after adding a new ingredient like Allulose to your diet.
If you wish to achieve a sweeter caramel sauce I would only recommend adding stevia to this recipe. Any other keto-approved sweetener will change the consistency of the sauce.
The difference in this keto-friendly caramel sauce recipe:
This sugar-free caramel is best used as a sauce or topping for your favorite keto dessert recipe.
Add this caramel sauce to your next keto cheesecake. Top your favorite homemade or store-bought keto ice cream with a drizzle of this easy keto caramel sauce. Make a fresh batch of keto cinnamon rolls and add a caramel drizzle to your toppings.
The holidays are coming, and many seasonal flavors pair perfectly with caramel. Do you plan on baking keto-friendly Christmas cookies this year? If so consider adding the special touch of this homemade caramel sauce.
I added this sugar-free caramel sauce to freshly baked eggnog cookies, and it did not disappoint.
These keto-friendly eggnog cookies were light airy and had a cake-like texture. They have the perfect eggnog flavor and were the perfect base for this simple keto caramel. Both recipes are simple and delicious making them an even better pair.
I used avocado oil in place of coconut oil because it is what I had on hand. The cookies baked slightly flatter when they finished baking, as you might notice in the image comparison. The change in oil did not sacrifice any other aspect of these delicious keto-friendly eggnog cookies.
Make these cookies for your holiday get together, or as a Christmas gift for your keto or low carb friends.
Keto Coffee with Caramel Sauce
Sugar-free caramel sauce also makes a wonderful addition to a warm cup of coffee. Adding the perfect touch of sweet, and some healthy fats from the butter. Simply spoon the caramel into a hot cup of coffee. If you enjoy your coffee frothy, use a frother and
How to reheat keto caramel sauce
The ideal method of reheating this caramel is to place the caramel into a dish with warm water. If you will need to reheat the caramel sauce then I recommend that you store the sauce in a glass container for this reason. Simple lower the container of caramel into the warm water. Stir the caramel sauce until it becomes easy to drizzle again.
The container with the water needs to only have a shallow amount of water. Be careful to not get any water into your caramel sauce.
The alternative method is using the microwave in 10-second increments. Stir after each. This method is slightly less predictable and may cause the caramel sauce to separate. If the caramel sauce does separate, use a small whisk and stir until it comes back together.
Want a caramel that thickens more than a sauce, then this recipe for keto caramel candy is for you.
- 4 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp Allulose
- 2 oz. or 1/4 cup of Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp of Heavy Cream or Half and Half
Two Ingredient Easy Sugar-Free Caramel Sauce
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat start to melt the butter.
- For a richer flavor take your time during this step, and brown the butter. Browning the butter also gives this keto caramel a much deeper more "caramel" like color.
- If you brown the butter pay close attention to not let it brown too much. The caramel cooks on medium-low heat for 30 minutes so it will continue to deepen in color, and the flavor will develop further and intensify.
- Once the butter starts to brown add in the Allulose and almond milk. Keep the small saucepan over medium-low to low heat.
- Whisk the two ingredients together, and then do not whisk again.
- Set a timer for 15 minutes and allow the caramel to cook untouched. Keep an eye on the temperature during this time. You do not want the caramel to get too hot.
- After the 15 minutes add in the heavy cream or half and half.
- The caramel sauce will bubble quite a bit when you add the heavy cream/ half and half. Stir until the sauce is well combined and then allow the caramel sauce to continue to cook untouched for 10 minutes.
- The last step to making this caramel is to whisk the sauce together for the final 5 minutes over low heat. Once the caramel sauce thickens and reaches a perfectly golden color it is done. Make sure to have your burner on low, if your stovetop runs hot pay extra close attention. Whisking the caramel at too hot of a temperature can cause the sauce to break.
- Drizzle the sauce at this point, or follow the instructions for reheating including in this blog post.
If you want to drizzle the caramel I recommend making this recipe fresh. However, I have successfully reheated the caramel in the microwave. The sauce did separate in the microwave, but came back together as I stirred it. Just as it does on the stovetop.
I highly suggest reading the blog post for the ideal method of reheating the caramel sauce.
For coffee, or to enjoy on occasion keep the caramel sauce in the fridge and enjoy this easily spoon-able caramel sauce.
This caramel sauce can also be stored at room temperature for 1-2 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 68Total Fat: 7gCholesterol: 20mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 48gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
brilliantlyketo.com offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from multiple online calculators. Although all attempts to provide accurate nutritional information have been made, these figures are only estimates as products and ingredients macros vary.